Sport

Real Madrid coach Arbeloa confirms departure

Real Madrid coach Arbeloa confirms departure

Real Madrid head coach Alvaro Arbeloa has confirmed that he will leave the club at the end of the season, with Jose Mourinho set to be named as his replacement.

The 43-year-old was promoted from his role leading Real Madrid B in January, replacing former Liverpool team-mate Xabi Alonso, and will now depart the club after a trophyless season.

Mourinho, who has been in charge of Benfica this season, is in final negotiations to take charge at Real, having previously been their manager from 2010 to 2013.

Speaking in a news conference prior to Real's final match of the season, at home to Athletic Bilbao on Saturday, Arbeloa said he would be departing rather than joining Mourinho's staff.

"Mou has a fantastic technical team, he's got good people around him, if he comes to Madrid he will come with his team," said Arbeloa.

"There's no chance that I would be with him. Then, my future... from Monday I'll think about that."

Arbeloa would be happy if Mourinho returns to Real

An iron fist joining a broken team: Inside Mourinho's Real return

Madrid will finish the season as La Liga runners-up, without a major trophy for the second year in a row, having exited this season's Champions League against Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals.

Arbeloa, who played at Madrid between 2009 and 2016, said he hoped this match was not a final farewell to the club.

"I hope it's a see you later... I've always considered this my home, I've belonged to Madrid for 20 years in various roles," said Arbeloa.

"It will be my last game this season as coach of Real Madrid, I don't know if it will be the last game of my life as coach of Real Madrid.

"We never know. I'll try and enjoy it and try to get the win."

Related topics

More on this story

Real Madrid president Perez calls for elections

Follow your club with BBC Sport

Listen to the latest Football Daily podcast

Get football news sent straight to your phone

You may have missed